As a City Light customer, you are already receiving about 90% carbon-free electricity. We also track and offset any remaining carbon from our fuel mix and operations, meaning City Light and the electricity you use every day have a net-zero impact. The Pacific Northwest region, however, continues to rely on fossil fuels for much of its energy and our Green Up program gives you the opportunity to support the growth of renewable energy in our region and right here in our community.
Green Up is a voluntary renewable energy program that allows you to support Pacific Northwest wind, solar and other renewable energy projects generating carbon-free energy. When you participate in Green Up, we purchase regional renewable energy credits (RECs) on your behalf and fund local rooftop solar projects hosted by not-for-profits and public organizations like affordable housing, schools, and parks.
How does Green Up work?
- You buy renewable energy credits through Green Up – choose your participation level and the cost is added to your regular City Light bill
- City Light purchases Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) from local and regional projects on your behalf – one renewable energy credit for every 1,000 kWh of electricity they produce
- You can cancel at any time – there are no long-term commitments or additional fees
- Green Up is certified by the Green-e(R) Energy Program which guarantees the program meets strict environmental and consumer protection standards established by the nonprofit Center for Resource Solutions
- Green Up charges will show up on your electricity bill, either at a match level of your choosing or a set monthly dollar amount
- The renewable energy credits purchased through Green Up are generated from Green-e approved wind, solar, or other renewable sources. Learn more about Green Up renewable resources.
- It’s a low-cost way to support clean energy: You choose your support level – starting as low as $1 a month per 100kWh block to matching 100% of your electricity use or more!
- It’s a green thing you can do to help protect the environment: By supporting this program, you are adding clean, renewable energy to the regional and local power grid
- It’s innovative and equitable: Green Up is increasing access to clean energy and green jobs, improving the health and economy of our local communities and the region