Energy Efficiency for Small and Medium Businesses
Small and medium business owners are experts at making the most of their time and resources. Improving energy management and efficiency are important steps in that process.
Seattle City Light offers complimentary assistance and financial support to help your business save energy and boost your bottom line. Whether you’re an auto body shop, a warehouse, or anything in between, your business doesn’t have to waste energy, lose money, or sacrifice comfort any longer.
Small, neighborhood businesses such as restaurants, grocers and retailers can improve profitability by more than 10 percent through smart investments in energy savings.
Preservation Green Lab report, “Realizing the Energy Efficiency Potential of Small Buildings”
With over 40 years of delivering energy efficiency assistance to Seattle-area businesses, and a team of energy management professionals, we have the experience, expertise, and resources to help you get the job done.
- Opportunity assessment: Interested in improving your energy efficiency, but not sure where to begin? Let’s start with a consultation to determine potential energy savings that align with your unique business needs and goals. We can also point you to resources, such as third-party contractor lists, to help get you started.
- Proposal review: If you have a proposal from a contractor for an energy efficiency project, we’ll review it to make sure that all energy saving opportunities are included, and that it meets eligibility requirements for City Light financial incentives.
We offer financial incentives to help businesses implement energy efficiency projects. In fact, our unofficial motto is, “If it saves electricity, we can probably help pay for it.” Whether you want to upgrade to energy efficient lighting, overhaul your HVAC system, or implement a comprehensive energy strategy, our incentives can help cover up to 70 percent of project costs. Common upgrades we help pay for include:
- Appliances — refrigerators, dishwashers, laundry machines
- Building products — windows, roofing, insulation
- Commercial food service equipment — electric ovens, icemakers
- Heating and cooling — HVAC, ductless heating and cooling, heat pumps
- Lighting — fixtures, lamps, controls
- Office equipment — data center storage, servers
- Water heaters — commercial, heat pump
- Other equipment — water coolers, air compressors
Eligibility and incentives may vary based on annual energy consumption. Don’t see what you’re looking for? Let’s work together to find a custom incentive that’s right for you.
How it works:
Qualified commercial lighting products are available at discounted prices through participating commercial distributors. Please note that discounted lighting will not be eligible for incentives as part of a larger energy efficiency project. For more information, download our Lighting to Go overview.
Follow these steps for all other energy efficiency initiatives:
- Request a consultation and an Energy Advisor will contact you to learn more about your needs, identify opportunities, and provide additional assistance, such as help completing a City Light program application.
- Select a contractor and get a project quote. We recommend getting three quotes from three different contractors.
- Submit your project quotes and program application.
- An analyst will review the application, confirm eligibility, and provide you with an incentive estimate and a Participation Agreement with a notice to proceed.
- Proceed with project installation.
- Submit invoices for project costs to your assigned analyst.
- An analyst will verify equipment was installed as proposed, paid for, and meets eligibility requirements.
- City Light pays an incentive to you or your contractor, whichever you prefer.