Energy Efficiency for Small and Medium Businesses
Small and medium business owners are experts at making the most of their time and resources. Improving energy management and efficiency are important steps in that process.
Seattle City Light offers complimentary assistance and financial support to help your business save energy and boost your bottom line. Whether you’re an auto body shop, a warehouse, or anything in between, your business doesn’t have to waste energy, lose money, or sacrifice comfort any longer.
Small, neighborhood businesses such as restaurants, grocers and retailers can improve profitability by more than 10 percent through smart investments in energy savings.
Preservation Green Lab report, “Realizing the Energy Efficiency Potential of Small Buildings”
With over 40 years of delivering energy efficiency assistance to Seattle-area businesses, and a team of energy management professionals, we have the experience, expertise, and resources to help you get the job done.
- Opportunity assessment: Interested in improving your energy efficiency, but not sure where to begin? Let’s start with a consultation to determine potential energy savings that align with your unique business needs and goals. We can also point you to resources to help get you started.
- Proposal review: If you have a proposal from a contractor for an energy efficiency project, we’ll review it to make sure that all energy saving opportunities are included, and that it meets eligibility requirements for City Light financial incentives.
We offer financial incentives to help businesses implement energy efficiency projects. Whether you want to upgrade to energy efficient lighting or overhaul your HVAC system our incentives can help cover up to 70 percent of project costs.
Common upgrades we help pay for include:
- Appliances — lab grade, ultra-low temperature freezers
- Building envelope— windows, insulation
- Commercial kitchen equipment — electric ovens, griddles, fryers, ice makers
- Connected thermostats — web enabled, communicating thermostats
- Heating and cooling — new HVAC equipment, advanced rooftop controls, Variable Speed Drives
- Lighting — fixtures, lamps, controls
- IT equipment — efficient UPS systems
- Water heaters — large heat pump water heaters
- Other equipment — small air compressors
Most incentives offered are simple rebates with set incentive rates. Otherwise, retrofit incentive amounts vary based on the amount of energy saved and type of equipment installed.
- You must be a City Light customer assigned a commercial rate code. Not sure? Contact us to find out.
- Eligibility varies based on project type and your existing conditions
- Approval may be required prior to purchase and construction.
How it works
Follow these general steps to get paid to upgrade!
- Before you begin your project, visit our tools and resources page to review program requirements and incentives.
- Determine your project scope. Not sure? Contact an Energy Advisor.
- Download the simple rebate form found on the tools and resources page or request a program application form if the project is more complex.
- Complete and submit your rebate form or application, along with any required documentation, to our Energy Advisors.
- An analyst will verify equipment was installed and meets eligibility requirements.
- City Light pays an incentive to you or your contractor, whichever you prefer.
Often your best resource on what exactly to install is your contractor. They can also help get you access to instant discounts through participating wholesale distributors. This means less paperwork and a faster rebate for you and your contractor.