Energy Efficient Water Heaters
Heat pump water heaters look a lot like conventional electric water heaters, but work differently. They take in warm air from the room where the water heater is located and use a compressor to transfer that heat to the water in the tank. That means they use less energy to do the same amount of work. You can get a $500 rebate from Seattle City Light when you buy a qualified heat pump water heater. Get your rebate started!
Heat pump water heaters:
- Are the most energy-efficient water heating systems on the market.
- Save you energy and money—use 60% less energy and lower your utility bill.
- Provide you with programmable options such as “vacation mode,” which saves energy while you’re not at home and ensures that you have hot water when you return.
- Help dehumidify damp spaces, such as your garage or basement, where they are often installed.
Is a new heat pump water heater right for you?
- Your new heat pump water heater should be located in a space with about 1,000 cubic ft.
- For the most efficient operation, the air temperature where the water heater is installed should average 40 degrees Fahrenheit or above.
- Because the heat pump exhausts cool air in the area where it is located, the water heater should be installed in a location that would isolate cool air, or is ducted to the outside. Examples are in a garage or unheated/unfinished basement, attic or crawlspace.
- Heat pump water heaters make about as much noise as an air conditioner. Consider this when making your purchase decision.
- You are installing a new water heater in a single family home, or a one to four unit apartment or condo, in the Seattle City Light territory.
- You are replacing an existing electric water heater
- The new water heater is on the qualified list of models.
- Your new water heater has been installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications, and the installer received manufacturer training for that model. Find a qualified installer or find Do-It-Yourself tips.
- Rebate forms submitted to City Light must be post marked no later than 90 days from the date of purchase.
- Water heaters must be purchased no later than October 1, 2018